Thursday, July 26, 2012

Skelethon

This post is a tad late, but I have to share with the world my two cents about Aesop Rock's new solo album Skelethon. This is Aesop's first solo album since 2007, and I was worried that it wouldn't live up to my grandiose expectations. Let's be honest here, the man's musical stylings are so important to me that I used them to vet prospective partners..."Ben, this is a test. If you don't like this music, we may have a problem." Three years later, Ben loves Aesop as much as I do.

Anyway, Skelethon.

Skelethon was worth the wait. Every song is a treat for my ears. I am choosing a song off of the album each day and listening to it on repeat for the entire day (that sort of thing is possible with Aesop because his songs are so nuanced that you NEVER get bored). In the past year Aesop lost a best friend and went through a divorce, so some of the songs are so raw that it brings tears to my eyes. For instance, on the track "Gopher Guts" he admits that he has been "completely unable to maintain any semblance of relationship on any level, I have been a bastard to the people who have actively attempted to deliver me from peril." Yeah, that's not what most people would expect from a hip-hop guy. On the same track you also don't expect a heavily bearded man who loves skateboarding to talk about letting go of relationships while complimenting the person with, " you will grow to be something essential and electric, you are healthy, you are special, you are present." The song literally makes me feel like things are stirring in the bottom of my rib cage. It is so beautiful that I can hardly take it.

Then there's "Grace."

"Grace" is some seriously funny shit. It's all about Aesop (Ian) as a child who hates green beans. He's stuck at the table being told to eat his vegetables while all of the neighborhood kids are out, he imagines, riding dirt bikes and skateboards. I laugh outloud every time he impersonates his father screaming, "this ends now eat the god damn beans!" My meager words can't convey just how awesome this song really is.

The entire album is brimming with tongue twisters, obscure references, obvious references, and amazing beats. It has been five years of waiting, but Aesop Rock has done it again.

Oh yeah, he also peformed these new gems in SLC on Monday night. Was I  there you ask? Of course! And it was magical.

Sorry for the poor quality photo, just know that it was fantastic.

No comments: