Friday, February 4, 2011

Purple

Things have been hectic and wonderful for the past little while. Spring semester started, and I'm working on a great advocacy project with the Gender Studies department. We're currently ironing out the details for a community blog writing project that focuses on the subject of girl-on-girl bullying; as soon as more details are available, my blog will be bursting with posts that direct everyone to the site. I'm so excited for the experience-it is the first time I have worked on a project from the very beginning.

The gym has been absolutely fantastic. Our fantastic professor, Rob Handley flies Grand Master Flavio Behring to the U.S. twice a year. While he is here, Master Flavio conducts a seminar, and each year it exceeds my expectations. I literally cannot stress the importance of this event. Master Flavio is the embodiment of Jiu-Jitsu. He is a walking, talking, ass-kicking piece of history, and contemporary genius. He looks like a Brazilian Sean Connery, and has the best wink I have ever seen. If you are interested in self-defense or sport jiu-jitsu, check out his site: http://www.flaviobehring.com/

The seminars are a great learning experience, and they are the time of year when everyone receives their due belt promotions. This year, I am so proud to share that Mister Bentley received his PURPLE BELT!! For those of you that don't know, the belt progression is as follows: white, blue, purple, brown, black. The purple belt is the "halfway" point. If a person works really hard a black belt can be achieved in ten years (give or take, depending on your skill-level, and your Professor, etc.) Ben has worked so hard, and he deserved this promotion (he has been doing jiu-jitsu for 3 1/2 years now.) Ben has won numerous competitions, and puts in so much time on the mat. I am so proud of him, I literally can't put it into words. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures for now, I'm going to ask my lovely coaches for some copies, and post them if they allow me to.
Ben wasn't the only person to receive a promotion, my best friend, Camrann Pacheco was promoted to a BROWN BELT! Such a monumental occasion! Cam is amazing, and he really deserves the new belt.
I have made myself the promise that I won't be a white belt forever, it's time for me to put in work to earn a blue belt!!

No comments: